Gluten Free Lamb Meatballs With Spiced Tomato Sauce
Ingredients Available at Martha’s Vineyard
- 1 small Onion
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Large Duck Egg Yolk or 2 egg Yolks
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tbs Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 dash Cayenne Pepper, or to taste
- 2 Lbs EA Brady’s Ground Lamb
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 cup Aleia’s Gluten Free Italian Breadcrumbs or Regular Nantucket Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 can San Mercano Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 3 TBS Village Batch Greek EVOO
- 1 Sprig Rosemary
- Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- 1 Medium Onion
- ½ Teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ Teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ tbs brown sugar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (from 1-2 oranges)
- 1 3in strip orange peel
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Meredith Diary Sheep and Goat Milk Cheese
- 2 tbs thinly sliced mint leaves
In a large bowl, season EA Brady’s ground lamb with cinnamon, cumin, red pepper and cayenne. Add in chopped onion, cream and one duck egg yolk (can be replaced with two regular eggs) -- mix. Once together, add breadcrumbs (Aleia’s Italian Gluten Free Breadcrumbs or Nantucket Baking Co. Bread Crumbs), parsley, and a heavy dash of salt and pepper. Form the meat into balls, slightly larger than golf balls.
Evenly space meatballs on a lightly oiled sheet tray (olive oil is preferred). Bake for approximately 15 minutes, rotating at least twice to ensure the exterior is cooked. Once par-baked, set to the side.
Lightly pass the Whole Peeled San Mercano canned tomatoes in a food processor or food mill. Let rest. Meanwhile, heat a saucepan over medium heat until warm. Then, add olive oil, rosemary, and red pepper flakes and cook over medium heat for one minute. Add fresh onion, fresh thyme, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and a bay leaf. Use a wooden spoon to stir as needed. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the onions become translucent. Add the San Mercano tomatoes, sugar fresh orange juice, orange peel and salt and pepper, to taste.
Cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Adjust seasoning as needed.
Pour the tomato sauce into a large baking dish. Transfer the meatballs into the sauce, spaced out evenly. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
Once removed from the oven, add cubes of the Meredith Dairy Sheep & Goat Milk Cheese and fresh sliced mint to garnish.
Recipe from Suzanne Goin, adapted by Sam Stifon on NYT Cooking and re-adapted by Martha’s Vineyard